On Friday, 9 July 2021 at 21:13:02 UTC, rempas wrote:
On Friday, 9 July 2021 at 20:54:21 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
On Friday, 9 July 2021 at 20:43:48 UTC, rempas wrote:
I'm reading the library reference for [core.time](https://dlang.org/phobos/core_time.html#Duration) and It says that the duration is taken in "hnsecs" and I cannot understand if we can change that and choose the precision. Does anyone know if we can do that?

It is stored internally in "hnsecs", but you can convert it to other units using the `total` method [1]; for example, `myDuration.total!"nsecs"`.

[1] https://dlang.org/phobos/core_time.html#.Duration.total

It doesn't work for me. I have the following code:

```
MonoTime start = MonoTime.currTime();
// Doing stuff
MonoTime end = MonoTime.currTime();
Duration dur = end - start;
dur = dur.total!"nsecs";
```

and I get the following error message:

"Error: cannot implicitly convert expression \`dur.total()\` of type \`long\` to \`Duration`"

You cannot change the precision of `Duration`, it always counts in multiples of 100 nsecs. You can count how many multiples of other units fit into the same `Duration` using `total`, but it will just return a number, not a “converted” `Duration`.

`toString` will produce an easy readable string (more or less), as in https://run.dlang.io/is/baqKLG, where “hnsec” is the smallest unit. If you think hectonanosecond is a weird unit, then [you are not alone](https://forum.dlang.org/post/pwotyniksrskdzmea...@forum.dlang.org), and it [has been pointed out](https://forum.dlang.org/post/khppfxsyfefjksvri...@forum.dlang.org) that it does not comply with SI.

— Bastiaan.