On 11/15/21 10:56 AM, WebFreak001 wrote:
I have an API with some struct like a file reader. I want to add byChunks-like functionality to it, so I'm trying to implement it with a helper struct that implements opApply. I have disabled copying the file reader struct because it cleans up the resources once it goes out of scope, however now I need to temporarily save the resources in the helper struct to be able to read from it.

How can I make sure that the foreach helper struct (and with that the copies of the resources) cannot be used once the owning struct goes out of scope?

```d
ByChunk helper;
{
     auto file = FileReader(x);
     helper = file.byChunk;
}
helper.popFront; // crash - I want the compiler to disallow this
```

is this currently possible or maybe possible with DIP1000?

Or maybe just use reference counting to avoid the problem altogether. That's what iopipe/std.io does.

-Steve