On Sunday, 10 April 2022 at 23:05:24 UTC, norm wrote:
Hi All,

I am clearly misunderstanding something fundamental, and probably obvious :D

Reading some of the discussions on __metadata I was wondering if someone could explain why a immutable reference counting type is needed. By definition a reference counter cannot be immutable, so what would be the use case that requires it? It cannot really be pure nor safe either because the ref goes out of scope and the allocation is freed. How is this immutable?

Thanks,
Norm

refcounting would require a concept of "tail const" / "tail immutable" so that transitivity of the qualifier does not affect the data used to refcount (basically the field that hold the count) but only the data that **are** refcounted.