On Tuesday, 19 July 2022 at 15:33:59 UTC, Alexander Zhirov wrote:
On Tuesday, 19 July 2022 at 15:28:44 UTC, Alexander Zhirov wrote:
I'm trying to install dmd with my hands in order to build ldc2 from the sources, but I can't:

I need to build a compiler under x32 in order to compile a program for the same machine.

```sh
dmd2/src/dmd# make -f posix.mak
posix.mak:42: ===== DEPRECATION NOTICE =====
posix.mak:43: ===== DEPRECATION: posix.mak is deprecated. Please use src/build.d instead.
posix.mak:44: ==============================
dmd -of../generated/build -g build.d
dmd: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by dmd)
posix.mak:111: recipe for target '../generated/build' failed
make: *** [../generated/build] Error 1
```

You can find the release archive linked from https://dlang.org/download.html , after clicking 'Download' by dmd. It's at http://downloads.dlang.org/

You can then go through old versions and, by trial, find one that's old enough to work on your machine, which you can then use to a newer dmd:

for x in dmd druntime phobos; do git clone https://github.com/dlang/$x; done
export HOST_DMD=path/to/bin32/dmd
( cd dmd; make -f posix.mak ) # etc.

Finding an old version that works on your machine will be very easy, but for example the random 2016 build that I grabbed was also too old to build dmd master, so you want to prefer a newer build that still works. It's not necessary to build dmd master though: in the worst case, you should be able check out interim releases (look at 'git tag --list', then 'git checkout v2.094.0' for example), build those, then used them to build a newer release.

This is all of course a massive PITA, which any extremely nice person could make less of a pain by cataloguing useful versions on the D wiki or by providing their own "good enough to compile master" builds for old architectures. Another option is to get newer glibc onto this system (not installing it, just making it available for dmd. use LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

An option that's technically possible but probably even more of a pain than what I've just described is using another machine to cross-compile static 32-bit D binaries that will then work on this machine. I've tried this and run into pretty unpleasant limitations, but I have a guide anyway at https://d.minimaltype.com/index.cgi/wiki?name=statically-linked+binaries , which you can supplement with https://wiki.dlang.org/Cross-compiling_with_LDC to get a 32-bit result. For that matter 'ldc2 -mtriple i686-linux-musl file.d' might be made to work, but I've no idea how to supply the toolchains that it expects.

Speaking of toolchains, it might be possible to use a modern server with a modern dmd with an ancient glibc: https://www.lordaro.co.uk/posts/2018-08-26-compiling-glibc.html