On 8/17/22 6:38 AM, Dennis wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 August 2022 at 08:44:30 UTC, Ogi wrote:
Maybe I’m missing something?

I had the same problem, and came up with the following trick:

```D
enum itoa(int i) = i.stringof;
```

I have the same thing in my code:

```d
enum intStr(int x) = x.stringof;
```

The reason you do this is to shoehorn things that aren't technically ints (such as enum types) into ints. This avoids weirdness like `cast(foo)bar` or whatnot that might happen if you just use stringof on any expression.

Now I need to warn you that the output of `stringof` is technically implementation defined per the specification, so you shouldn't rely on it. In practice [this doesn't stop people](https://github.com/libmir/mir-algorithm/pull/422), and I don't think integers will ever not be printed as a string of base 10 digits.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about stringof for ints.

-Steve