On 1/4/23 13:43, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> You do realize that the compiler is free to reorder local variables on
> the stack, right? ;-)

Of course. :)

I was trying different strategies to catch the compiler (dmd here) in a single act of 8-byte object alignment as reported by .alignof.

Another thing the compiler is free for class members is to reorder them. I also theorized perhaps the compiler was also considering the alignment of a member. But as expected, char[1] does have 1 alignment and it can't be the reason in this case. (Again, there is no problem here; we are just learning.)

> implementation-specific details

RazvanN or Dennis may chime in on that.

Ali