On Wednesday, 10 May 2023 at 20:25:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 07:56:10PM +0000, Chris Piker via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote: [...] I also suffer from left/right confusion, and always have to pause to think about which is the right(!) word before uttering it.
Oh, I though was the only one with that difficulty. Glad to hear I'm not alone. :-)

I have a tendency to think of things by their purpose when programming but not by their location on the line or page. So terms such as "writable" versus "ephemeral" or "addressable" versus "temporary" (or "register"), make so much more sense to me.

Back on the ref issue for a moment... I'd imagine that asking the compiler to delay creating a writable variable until it finds out that a storage location is actually needed by subsequent statements, is a tall order. So D chose to introduce programmers to lvalues and rvalues head-on, instead of creating a leaky abstraction.