On Monday, 19 June 2023 at 08:46:31 UTC, rempas wrote:
On Sunday, 18 June 2023 at 20:17:50 UTC, Cecil Ward wrote:

target.obj: target.c include1.h include2.h cc.exe
    cc target.c

and you either have to pray that you have kept the list of .h files that are mentioned inside target.c and other .h files referenced recursively from within these .h files etc. I listed the compiler as a dependency too, and I should really have a pseudo-target somehow that depends on the nature of the command line because changing the command line affects the generated code. If you have an automaking compiler that will generate the list of .h files then that’s so, so much safer.

First of all, If we are talking about C files, D can import and compile them so you don't even need a Makefile! Now, if you need to compile C++ files and then either link or create a library (and link with it from the D project), then you can just run Dub in the end of the job in your make file! You can then have a variable called `DUB_FLAGS` in your Makefile and this is where the arguments that will be passed for the Dub will be. Will this be good enough for you?

If I have sources to all the library routines, not libraries or .obj files. I am simply completely ignorant about the D tools including DUB, so off to do some reading. I’ve just been seeing how good LDC and GDC are, and the answer is extremely, especially LDC, which perhaps has a slight edge in code generation quality. I haven’t looked at AAarch64 code yet, only AMD64. Very impressed with all the work!