> Should the compiler optimise by computing n only once? (even possibly at
compile-time)
> Then, what if I'm doing that in purpose? (be it stupid or not)
>
> Denis

What is the difference? The only thing that is affected by this optimization is
execution speed. Optimizing is about implementing the requested semantics in an
efficient matter. Why would you actually want to suppress completely safe
optimizations? Also, when benchmarking, you don't usually want to benchmark
unoptimized code. Or am I misunderstanding something?

If absolutely necessary, you can always use the volatile keyword to disable all
optimizations on a given variable, or call the function explicitly using inline
ASM.