On Monday, 2 October 2023 at 18:39:41 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
On Monday, 2 October 2023 at 18:34:13 UTC, BoQsc wrote:
Here is my issue: I've found a formula on Wikipedia.

It's called **Hashing by division**.

![](https://i.imgur.com/UJPAWIW.png)
As you can see it uses **mod** keyword to achieve the modulus operation.

In D language we use modulus operator `%` and it might look more like this:
```
h(x) M % m
```

This clearly introduces confusion between the source (wikipedia) and the implementation (dlang version).

I would like to know how we could define/alia ourselves a `mod` operator in D Language.

```
h(x) M mod m
```

---
**This might lead to less gaps between math formulas and the implementation.**

Or at the very least would allow to define a formula in the source code for further implementation and introduce some consistency.

https://dlang.org/spec/operatoroverloading.html#binary

Overloading seems to only overload behaviour of existing operator, like:

```

```

I'm unable to see how the operator overloading would allow to define a new custom operator.