On 22/05/2011 19:11, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
I've never done any CGI stuff before, but can't you employ some kind
of messaging mechanism with an already running process?

Yes. I find it's quite useful when you want instant notifications
on something, like a web chat application, but it could do some
speed boosts too.

I'm working on a post showing some of my benchmarks too on built-in
vs cgi. Some of them are over 20x faster with a built in webserver!
(I wonder if this is cgi's fault or if Apache is just not optimized
for it... I'm changing the i/o code too so we can make sure it's
not just stdio being slow.)

Have you tried FastCGI? It's essentially CGI but with a long running process rather than re-spawning for each request (and it still has the advantage that it can be re-spawned by the web server). I'm using it for serenity, albeit the FCGX interface rather than the interface that emulates CGI.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/