On Tuesday, 24 April 2012 at 14:54:48 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 April 2012 at 11:24:44 UTC, Regan Heath wrote:
After watching Andrei's talk on generic and generative programming I have to ask, which routines are you avoiding .. it seems we need to make them as good as the hand coded code you've written...

from memory (don't have the code in front of me right now), it was std.uni.decode, and using foreach(dchar d; str) (which cannot be inlined currently).

IIRC, std.uni.decode was not being inlined. So I tried hand-inlining it (I also discovered some optimizations it was not using), and it made a huge difference.

BTW, you can check out my github branch of phobos named new-io2, look at the textstream struct to see what I've inlined.

-Steve