On 22/05/2012 18:36, cal wrote:
<snip>
<my build command> 2>&1 | head -n <number of lines you want to see>

Where <my build command> is your dmd/rdmd/build script command. There's probably
something similar you could use on Windows, I don't really know though.

By "something similar" do you mean a way of piping stderr, or a head utility?

A head utility is trivial to code.  Of course, a way to pipe stderr is another
matter.

They are probably all valid errors, I am porting a rather large C file to D and
it takes a
few seconds (perhaps 10 seconds) for the compiler to finish listing all the
things I
haven't fixed up yet, makes the process a bit more tedious is all. No biggy,
thought there
might be a switch I missed.

Interestingly, I don't seem able to redirect the compiler output on Windows, or
even pipe it.

What version of Windows are you using?

Modern versions support 2> to redirect stderr to a file. But 2| doesn't seem to work correspondingly (at least under Vista, don't know about Win7) - by the looks of it it just passes 2 as an argument to the program and pipes stdout as usual.

Maybe a utility could be made along similar lines to Rederr (which I published somewhere on these 'groups OUAT)....

Stewart.