On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 19:44:34 -0400, Sean Kelly <s...@invisibleduck.org> wrote:

On Jun 26, 2012, at 4:40 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 19:10:25 -0400, bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer:

I agree with Andrei, there is no outlet for errors in the to!T function, exception is the logical choice.

Maybe I was not clear enough, so let me explain a bit better.

What I don't like is to!int("15\n") to be seen as an error in the first place. I'd like it to ignore leading and trailing whitespace, as in Python (stripping it automatically):

Right, but what if it's an error in your code if whitespace is present? Then you have to check for whitespace and throw your own error.

to!int(trim("5\n"))

no?

That was my original suggestion. It fixes the problem, but can seem quite unintuitive to a developer that they have to do this.

Plus if it actually *is* an error for the string to have whitespace, you would want it to throw. My point to bearophile is, we may want both options.

I can easily see someone using just to!int(userInput), and testing without ever putting in spaces, and then user does and the application blows up (quite needlessly).

-Steve