On Thursday, 24 January 2013 at 12:56:03 UTC, Matthew Caron wrote:
This is probably a question for Walter, but maybe others know.

Of all of the differences between C and D, the one which I have the most difficulty adapting to is null being lowercase. Does anyone know why this decision was made?

In the world of C and C++, 'NULL' is a macro. Macros, by convention, are all uppercase. Contrast that with C++11 which provides for 'nullptr', a type rather than a macro. Consider Java, which also has a lowercase null. In D, null follows the same convention as other built-ins, so it is lowercase. To me, it makes perfect sense. There are no macros in D, so I wouldn't have expected to see NULL to begin with. *That* would have been highly inconsistent.