On Saturday, 7 December 2013 at 23:11:39 UTC, Rémy Mouëza wrote:
My strategy here would be to:
A. run the program in a debugger, say GDB, to get a exhaustive stacktrace for hints about where to look at. B. have a quick look at the library directly (the "Use the Source Luke" strategy).

Since I was curious about your problem (you had everything correct - this should not fail), and have no access to your code, I checked out the shapelib code from its cvs public repository and found out that the last pointer, `double * padfMaxBound` is actually a pointer to an array of 4 elements: in shapelib/shpopen.c: SHPGetInfo: starting line 823:
    for( i = 0; i < 4; i++ )
    {
        if( padfMinBound != NULL )
            padfMinBound[i] = psSHP->adBoundsMin[i];
        if( padfMaxBound != NULL )
            padfMaxBound[i] = psSHP->adBoundsMax[i];
    }

This also explains why it does not segfault when you pass a null pointer: no array out of bounds happen then.

padfMaxBound should point to a `double []` or `double [4]` instead of a mere `double`.

I also ended checking the API documentation (http://shapelib.maptools.org/shp_api.html) and they do document that padfMinBound and padfMaxbound are pointers to 4 values X, Y, Z and M in a four entry array. You may want to check if there isn't any other of those "C tricks" hiding in your D bindings.

Good catch.  Now that you pointed it out I cannot for the life of
me figure out why I didn't think to check that!  To make matters
worse I didn't even have to go check the CVS, because I compiled
the library from source and had all the C code sitting just a
couple of 'cd's away.  For some reason it never occurred to me
that it might be expecting an array - even though one might
reasonably assume that the bounds on a multidimensional dataset
would have more than one dimension.

Thank you.