On Thursday, 13 February 2014 at 02:59:01 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:
On Thursday, 13 February 2014 at 02:52:44 UTC, Anton wrote:
I guess I'm mostly confused because the description for one of the templates of std.random.uniform says "Returns a uniformly selected member of enum E.

Oooh, I didn't know it had one of those, the documentation can be so hard to read sometimes.

Try this then:

auto randomAnimal = uniform!Animals();

The enum E there is a compile time argument, so you need the ! in there to pass them. (uniform(Animal) would be trying to send it as a run time argument which doesn't work for types)

Yeah, the docs aren't the easiest to read, especially coming from
Python.

But thanks a lot for your help. Using ! does the trick.