On Saturday, 31 May 2014 at 22:45:32 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Chris Nicholson-Sauls:

Good... I was starting to fear I was the only one.

In general you can't fix the names in a language because you always find someone that likes the ones present :) I think "enum" is a bad name for the purpose of defining manifest constants, but I don't think this will change.

Bye,
bearophile

In a perfect world, sure, we'd have a different name for it; I'm not saying I love it, just that it "makes sense" in my head. I've sometimes thought 'alias' could have worked as well, especially now with the a=b syntax.

alias DEFAULT_PORT = 11020;

But, then we exchange one set of brow raisers for another set. In the absence of #define, there probably is no achievable ideal. :)
  • Re: enums monarch_dodra via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: enums Andrej Mitrovic via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: enums Miles Stoudenmire via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: enums bearophile via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re: enums Paul D Anderson via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • Re: enums bearophile via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • Re: enums Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • Re: enums monarch_dodra via Digitalmars-d-learn
            • Re: en... Chris Nicholson-Sauls via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re... bearophile via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • Re... Chris Nicholson-Sauls via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re: enums Philippe Sigaud via Digitalmars-d-learn
  • Re: enums Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: enums Philippe Sigaud via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: enums Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: enums Philippe Sigaud via Digitalmars-d-learn
  • Re: enums via Digitalmars-d-learn