On Friday, 15 August 2014 at 14:26:28 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
On Friday, 15 August 2014 at 08:36:34 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366887%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Allocates memory charges (from the overall size of memory and the paging files on disk) for the specified reserved memory pages. The function also guarantees that when the caller later initially accesses the memory, the contents will be zero. Actual physical pages are not allocated unless/until the virtual addresses are actually accessed.

Oh handy, so there's basically no work to be done on Windows. I'll have to check the behavior of mmap on Posix.

It sounds like mmap (typically) works the same way on Linux, and that malloc generally does as well. I'll have to test this to be sure. If so, and if doing so is fast, I'm going to increase the default stack size on 64-bit systems to something reasonably large. And here I thought I would have to do this all manually.