On Saturday, 16 August 2014 at 20:59:47 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
If anything, you are *preventing* the (many) opportunities phobos has to *avoid* decoding when it can...

By that I want to stress what Jonathan M Davis said
"Unless the string types match, there's no way around it."

You should absolutely realize that that means that when the string types (widths) *do* match, then "search" (which includes all flavors in phobos) will NOT decode.

Heck, if you do a "string, element" search, eg find("my phrase", someDchar), then phobos will *encode* someDchar into a correctly sized string, and then do a full non-decoding string-string search, which is actually much faster than the naive decoding search.