On Tuesday, 4 November 2014 at 14:47:49 UTC, anonymous wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 November 2014 at 14:36:19 UTC, Chris wrote:
I'm still curious, though, how D handles this internally, because data.data is still mutable while the other reference to the same address (tmp) is not. What if I change data.data while the other thread is being executed?

Changing *data.data would be undefined behaviour. Don't do it.
Once data is typed as immutable, it must not change anymore. By
casting you're side-stepping the type system, so that you have to
make sure of such things yourself.

Hm. I'm not planning to change data.data, of course, but I was worried (and curious) about potential safety issues. I suppose I could convert short* to short[] > idup it > pass a reference to the C function (that expects short*). However, I want to avoid this, because there shouldn't be any additional operations (it's a (near) real time system).