On Monday, 8 December 2014 at 14:08:33 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
On Saturday, 6 December 2014 at 15:46:16 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
The problem is the recursive *alias* rather than the delegate. Just don't use the alias name inside itself so like

alias MyDelegate = void delegate() delegate();

will work. The first void delegate() is the return value of the MyDelegate type.

Yes I tried that as well. It still doesn't solve the issue. The delegate being returned doesn't return a delegate, it returns the "void" type. You would need to write delegate() delegate() delegate() delegate() ...FOREVER. I can't figure out a way to write this in the language even though the machine code it generates should be quite trivial.

I did some digging and realized that C/C++ have the same problem. I found a nice post on it with 2 potential solutions (http://c-faq.com/decl/recurfuncp.html). I liked the second solution so I wrote up an example in D. If anyone has any other ideas or can think of a way to improve my example feel free to post and let me know, thanks.import std.stdio;

struct StateFunc
{
  StateFunc function() func;
}