On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 11:39:43 UTC, Foo wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 at 10:59:09 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Foo:

Hi,
Could someone explain me, if and how it is possible to allocate a variable length array with inline assembly?
Somewhat like
----
int[] arr;
int n = 42;
asm {
  // allocate n stack space for arr
}
----
I know it is dangerous and all that, but I just want it know. ;)

Doing it with alloca is simpler:

void main() @nogc {
   import core.stdc.stdlib: alloca, exit;

   alias T = int;
   enum n = 42;

   auto ptr = cast(T*)alloca(T.sizeof * n);
   if (ptr == null)
       exit(1); // Or throw a memory error.
   auto arr = ptr[0 .. n];
}

Bye,
bearophile
Yes I know, but I really want it in inline assembly. It's for learning purpose. :)

You could look at the disassembly.