On Sunday, 28 December 2014 at 09:24:31 UTC, Aiden wrote:
Hello all,

This is my first post on these forums. I've been learning D for the past couple of months or so and have been quite impressed by the language thus far. One stumbling block that I have encountered is with using `shared`, and more specifically using `shared` with synchronization tools like Mutex and Condition.

Consider the following program:
https://gist.github.com/anibali/4d544c31ac762409d4ea

I can't seem to get the thing working without a bunch of casts to and from `shared`, which I'm assuming is not a good practice - it definitely doesn't make for nice-looking code.

I've found an old thread on a similar issue(http://forum.dlang.org/thread/moyyibrpnnmrrovyl...@forum.dlang.org) but there doesn't seem to be a conclusion there either.

Is `shared` in a workable state? Shouldn't Mutex, Condition, etc be shared since they are basically only ever useful when used in multiple threads? Am I missing the point completely?

Unfortunately, the current way to use shared is pretty much what you are doing now. It's probably one of the least understood and difficult to work with parts of the language.