On 20/02/2015 12:10 a.m., Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 09:10:16 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
On 19/02/2015 9:46 p.m., Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
How do I (a newbie to D) figure out which compiler set to use?
I am running Ubuntu 14.10, and intend to stick with it in the long term.
Should I choose DMD or go with GDC?
I would like to know the rationale for suggestions for either.

Thanks.

Atleast while learning stick with dmd.
It is the reference compiler. There are far more developers involved
in its production then GDC.

And anyway, GDC is still hasn't been updated to the latest version of
D. And its the last major D compiler that hasn't.

There is a D-apt repository, which will interest you.
http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

I thank you for your response, and thank you for that link.

I installed the "dmd_2.066.1-0_amd64.deb" from the dlang.org website,
though. :)
Figured it best to stick with the official DMD as I am working through
"The D Programming Language".

In that case, you probably also want to read the errata for TDPL.
http://erdani.com/index.php?cID=109
For changes since that book was written.