You should start a worker thread for this and then use message passing (vibe.core.concurrency) to wait for the results (or alternatively a TaskCondition). I was thinking about including a generic thread proxy in vibe.d that I've used to encapsulate these details when working with libgit in a vibe.d based application, but didn't get to it so so far. I could poa quick gist on GitHub if you want, but I can't remember right now how good/generic the code actually was.

Thanks, Sonke. I appreciate this very much (and of course also your work in building vibe.d in the first place).

I will have a crack at it myself, but if you have time would certainly like to see a gist (but don't bother if the code isn't immediately to hand). I think compiling a set of snippets of how to do common things in vibe.d would be very helpful in the longer term. (But maybe this is a task for others to build out).