On 4/21/15 3:11 PM, John Colvin wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 April 2015 at 19:06:39 UTC, kevin wrote:
enum bool isInputRange = is(typeof(
    (inout int = 0)
    {
        R r = R.init;     // can define a range object
        if (r.empty) {}   // can test for empty
        r.popFront();     // can invoke popFront()
        auto h = r.front; // can get the front of the range
    }));

... is the current implementation in Phobos. But I can't seem to
understand this syntax. What is (inout int = 0)? Why can a block
follow it?

My guess is that this is declaring some sort of function and testing
if it is syntactically valid, but this is still strange to me.

It's defining a lambda function and checking that it is *semantically*
valid.

No idea what the `(inout int = 0)` is there for, I would have thought it
would be fine without it.

inout has a rule that you can't declare a type of inout as a local variable unless there is an inout parameter/return. I'm not sure if this rule still exists (it causes weird shit like the above to be required). I know some inout rules that I devised have been relaxed for the benefit of generic function sanity.

The inout int = 0 gives the lambda an inout parameter, in case you are doing isInputRange!(inout(int)[]), then you can validly declare a range of type R inside your function.

Alternatively, you could have the lambda take an R as a parameter. Or fix the semantics so that inout local variable acts like immutable inside a non-inout function.

-Steve