On Saturday, 25 April 2015 at 17:58:59 UTC, Timo Sintonen wrote:
On Saturday, 25 April 2015 at 17:04:18 UTC, Jens Bauer wrote:

I think volatileLoad and volatileStore are intended for this (please correct me if my understanding is wrong).

Yes. Actually I am not sure whether they already exist in gdc or not.

Try to write for example
regs.cmdr |= 0x20
with these functions and guess how many users will move to another language.

Ah, I get the point now. :)

I don't want to start another volatile discussion, but to me it seems an attribute would not be a bad idea. -And for completeness... read-only, write-only, read/write and perhaps even 'prohibited access'. I recall that something was marked prohibited in some way in a library once; I forgot how they did it, though.