On Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 06:35:50 UTC, Anthony Monterrosa wrote:
Does D require the standard library to function? Or to be more direct, does D as a language need its library, or core library, to function correctly?

There are two main libraries in D: The D Runtime, and the standard library (a.k.a. Phobos)

By default, D links in Phobos and the D Runtime. With the GDC compiler, the two are actually compiled as a single binary. You can disable linking phobos and the D Runtime with the -nophoboslib compiler flag. I'm not sure if DMD or LDC offer a similar compiler option. You could, however, compile to object files and then link manually with the system linker to avoid linking in phobos and the D Runtime.

If you don't explicitly import anything, then you won't need phobos, but you may need the D Runtime depending on which features of the language you use. However, if you stick to a C-like subset of D, you need very little of the D Runtime (50~100 lines of code)

Note: since, I'm already here, does anyone know how D manipulates/uses standard streams to make its write/read functions as well? I can't find any resources telling me a non-abstracted way of this being completed.

It is my understanding that D links in the C standard library and leverages the functionality there for standard streams.

Mike