On Sunday, 24 May 2015 at 11:07:19 UTC, Dennis Ritchie wrote:
On Sunday, 24 May 2015 at 02:43:47 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
I'm a fan of lisp(Clojure being my favorite. Too bad it takes about a century just to load the runtime...), and yet I find it quite ironic that Paul Graham claims lisp to be the most powerful language right after claiming that programmers can't understand - and therefore disregard - the power of languages more powerful than the ones they use...

This is not ironic, because I did neglect the power of Lisp, because not quite understand it fully :) The power of Lisp - his worst enemy. Strange Lisp syntax allows you to write powerful macros, which is unique in other languages, but many programmers do not understand Lisp syntax (and therefore may find it funny).

This IS ironic, because Paul Graham claims lisp to be the most powerful, but if he have ever encounter a more powerful language he couldn't accept it is more powerful than lisp due to the very same "Blub Paradox" he describes himself.