On Wednesday, 1 July 2015 at 09:38:05 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
Someone more familiar with Debian/Ubuntu than me may be able to help you here, sorry.

I was hoping to keep a tight rein on what was required to be installed to simplify deployment but its spiraling out of control again LOL.

The -dev packages are only required during development (specifically at link time), the resulting binary only needs the normal packages installed.

Thanks Marc, I found the required packages... it threw me because they don't have any version number in the repo ... and the example works just fine now.