On Monday, 6 July 2015 at 19:46:51 UTC, Matt Kline wrote:
Say I'm trying to expand an array of file and directory paths (such as ones given as command line args) into a range of file paths I can iterate over. A simplified example might be:

auto getEntries(string[] paths, bool recursive)
{
    auto files = paths.filter!(p => p.isFile);

    if (recursive) {
        auto expandedDirs = paths
            .filter!(p => p.isDir)
            .map!(p => dirEntries(p, SpanMode.depth, false))
            .joiner
            .map!(de => de.name); // back to strings

        return chain(files, expandedDirs);
    }
    else {
        return files;

Even though both return statements return a range of strings, this doesn't compile because the result of `chain` is a different type than the result of `filter`. Is there some generic range I could coerce both ranges to in order to have the same return type and make this work? .array is a non-starter since it throws out the ranges' laziness.

They aren't actually the same types; one is a `FilterRange!(string[])`; the other a `ChainRange!(string[], MapRange!(...))`. Since they're structs, there's no runtime polymorphism.

You can either make `recursive` a template argument (`auto getEntries(bool recursive)(string[] paths)`) with `static if` if you know at compile time when to recurse or not, or use a class wrapper in std.range.interface [1].

[1]: http://dlang.org/phobos/std_range_interfaces.html