On Friday, 11 September 2015 at 13:12:14 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Friday, 11 September 2015 at 04:28:52 UTC, Prudence wrote:
I thought about that but then I have to rely on the GC for some simple things. Doesn't seem like the right way to go.

Since it is static, it will never be collected anyway, so you could just use it and it'll work for convenience and probably lose nothing, or very trivially write an append function that uses any scheme you want instead of doing ~= on it without even worrying about freeing it.

And that makes it worse!! If it's never collected and the GC scans it every time, it means it adds a constant overhead to the GC for absolutely no reason, right? It also then makes every dependency on it GC dependent(@nogc can't be used)? It just seems like it's the wrong way to go about it.