On Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 13:29:50 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 12:50:43 UTC, Namespace wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 23:26:14 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Python-so-popular-despite-being-so-slow
Andrei suggested posting more widely.

Maybe also interesting: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LO_WI3N-3p2Wp9PDWyv5B6EGFZ8XTOTNJ7Hd40WOUHo/mobilepresent?pli=1&slide=id.g70b0035b2_1_168

What I got out of that is that someone at Mozilla were writing a push service (stateful connections, which more demanding than regular http) and found that jitted Python was more suitable than Go for productivity reasons. Then they speculate that their own Rust will be better suited than Go for such services in the future, apparently not yet.
I liked the fact that Python with PyPy is more performant than Go (in contrast to the title "Python is slow") and that Go-Routines leak.

To the poster further up in the thread: turns out that reddit.com is implemented in Python and a little bit of C: https://github.com/reddit/reddit

So there we have it. Python gives higher productive at the cost of efficiency, but does not have a significant impact on effectiveness, for regular web services that are built to scale.