On Saturday, 31 October 2015 at 16:06:47 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Sat, 2015-10-31 at 15:41 +0000, tcak via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
On Saturday, 31 October 2015 at 14:37:23 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> On Friday, 30 October 2015 at 10:35:03 UTC, Laeeth Isharc > wrote:
> > I'm writing a talk for codemesh on the use of D in finance.

I always thought that this type of arithmetic operations can be solved with BigInt, but never tried it. Since the issue is related to IEEE standard, a simulated (not supported by hardware directly) data type might be required.

In that std.bigint.BigInt provides the accuracy, yes it does suffice. But it is slow. As far as I am aware only IBM Big Iron (aka mainframes, aka z-Series) has hardware decimal floating point these days. (Even though 1970s and 1980s microprocessors had the feature.)

It would be nice to have fixed point numbers in Phobos, although it's not much work to implement, and there is a library solution already (which is maintained, but sometimes for a while breaks with newer versions of dmd).