On Thursday, 21 January 2016 at 10:20:12 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:

Okay without registering not gonna get that data.

So usual things to think about, did you turn on release mode?
What about inlining?

Lastly how about disabling the GC?

import core.memory : GC;
GC.disable();

dmd -release -inline code.d

That helped a lot, I disable GC and inlined as you suggested and the time is now:

Time (s): 8.754

However, with R's data.table package gives us:

system.time(x <- fread("Acquisition_2009Q2.txt", sep = "|", colClasses = rep("character", 22)))
   user  system elapsed
  0.852   0.021   0.872

I should probably have begun with this timing. Its not my intention to turn this into a speed-only competition, however the ingest of files and speed of calculation is very important to me.