On Saturday, 23 April 2016 at 00:55:07 UTC, rcorre wrote:
On Friday, 22 April 2016 at 10:25:34 UTC, Chris wrote:
On Friday, 22 April 2016 at 09:49:02 UTC, Rene Zwanenburg wrote:
On Thursday, 21 April 2016 at 16:29:14 UTC, rcorre wrote:
- What happens when you compile a binary without phobos and druntime, and with a custom entry point? I've never done that myself and don't remember how to do that off the top of my head, but the info should be somewhere on dlang.org.

I'll look into it.

Declaring a C-like main and the -defaultlib switch do the trick:

---- cmain.d
extern(C) void main() nothrow {}
---
dmd cmain.d -defaultlib=""

If even that fails to link I honestly wouldn't know where to look next..

This seems odd. Have you tried to reinstall dmd? You could use dvm [1] to install different versions of dmd and see what happens. It seems as if there's something wrong with your installation. I have Ubuntu at work and ArchLinux at home. It works fine, there shouldn't be any problem with compiling your program.

[1] https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm

No luck with cmain.d.
Its definitely an environmental problem -- I have an almost identical Archlinux desktop that is fine. I thought I'd try my dev DMD, but realized I can't even compile it now that DMD is written in D >.<

Got it! I installed hardening-wrapper to build python34.
gcc was pointing to /usr/bin/hardening-wrapper/gcc.

I had to look up what hardening-wrapper even is -- and I found my way straight to the archwiki article describing exactly my problem:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/D_(programming_language)#hardening-wrapper

Thank you to everyone who tried to help!