On Saturday, 16 July 2016 at 20:00:39 UTC, Seb wrote:
On Saturday, 16 July 2016 at 14:11:34 UTC, cym13 wrote:
On Saturday, 16 July 2016 at 14:00:56 UTC, dom wrote:
foreach(auto v; msg)
  writeln(v);

gives an error that a basic type is expected

foreach(v; msg)
  writeln(v);

works

.. but why?

Arbitrary limitation. If you want to say how surprising and uselessly limiting it is wait at the end of the line.

It's not actually a problem in practice because you just have not to put it but it is part of those frustrating little edge cases with no reason to be.

It's not arbitrary. It keeps the language simple and easy to read. After all the entire auto keyword is just there, because the compiler needs a keyword and in loops it's clearly defined what the type will be.
You don't complain that `int int` is forbidden, or do you?

I guess you are frustrated because you are used to this pattern from other, inferior languages. I bet you will soon start to appreciate the syntactic sugar that D provides.

int int is a completely different issue, and that has nothing to do with what you suppose my experience is from other languages. If anything I come mainly from python so I find not having to write the type a pretty thing.

However auto should be allowed here. You are defining a variable and the fact that it's in a foreach shouldn't be of any importance. The language should enforce orthogonality of orthogonal things, not break it. A variable definition in a foreach should be allowed not because I like to be pedantic but because it's allowed everywhere else. That also stands for the principle of least surprise.