On Tuesday, 19 July 2016 at 16:50:56 UTC, Rufus Smith wrote:
On Tuesday, 19 July 2016 at 16:09:38 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta wrote:
On Tuesday, 19 July 2016 at 15:55:02 UTC, Rufus Smith wrote:
I have some functions that take other functions. I would like the attributes to be able to "fall" through so I get overload like behavior. I only care that I am passing a function, not if it is shared, extern(C), pure, @nogc, etc.

void foo(R, A...)(R function(A) bar)
{
   alias type = typeof(bar);
   pragma(msg, type);
   // does magic with bar
}

foo never uses the attributes of bar explicitly. It uses type to instantiate other functions like bar. I have to create a foo for each attribute combination, which is not worth while. The code seems to break only for extern, the best I can tell, most attributes do pass through. But type does not contain these attributes.

You shall do something like this (please note that I didn't check the docs while writing this; you shall definitely have a look at std.traits and consider the following as pseudo-code and not actual D):

void foo(Fun)(Fun bar)
if (isSomeFunction!Fun) // your constraint that bar is a function
{
    // how to get your R and A types, if you need them:
    alias R = ReturnType!bar;
    alias A = Parameters!bar;

    alias type = Fun;
    pragma(msg, type);

    // do some magic
}

But this doesn't create a function with all the attributes of the original? Just one that has the same return type and parameters. What if Fun is pure or extern(C) or some other attributes? I'd like to create a function that is exactly the same in all regards as the original.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
With the method I showed you, if the function is @safe, pure, @nogc or nothrow, foo will infer those attributes. But only if the operations you do in foo (apart from calling bar) are themselves @safe, pure, @nogc or nothrow. For other things, like extern(C), I don't think there's a simple solution; but I'm not an expert, so I hope someone else will give you a better answer.