On Friday, 5 August 2016 at 08:32:42 UTC, kink wrote:
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 at 21:03:52 UTC, Mark "J" Twain wrote:
How can I construct a va_list for vsprintf when all I have is the a list of pointers to the data, without their type info?

A va_list seems to be a packed struct of values and/or pointers to the data. While I could construct such a list, theoretically, I don't always know when I should store an element as a pointer or a value.

e.g., ints, floats, and other value types seems to get stored directly in the list, while strings and *other* stuff get stored as pointers.

I would be nice if a printf variant listed takes only a pointer list to all the values, does anything like this exist?

If not, is there any standardization of what is a value in the list and what is a pointer so I can attempt to build the list properly?

This has absolutely nothing to do with D as these are C functions, so you'd be better off asking this in another forum. Anyway, I have no idea why you'd want to construct the va_list manually. These vprintf() functions only exist so that other variadic functions can forward THEIR varargs - e.g.,

extern(C) void myOldschoolPrintf(in char* format, ...)
{
  doSomethingSpecial();
  va_list myVarargs = va_start(format);
  vprintf(format, myVarargs);
}

Just a side note, a C nitpicker that I am, you forgot the va_end after the call to vprintf(). On a lot of platforms it's not a problem, on Linux/x86_64 (i.e. a very common platform) it's very likely a memory leak (as the ABI allows to pass parameters in register even for vararg functions, these registers have to be saved somewhere to be usable in a va_list).

Note that va_list is highly platform-dependent, so filling the struct manually is a very bad idea.

Yes indeed, and one of the most common platforms is the very complex one. It's probably the most common issue when porting C programs to Linux/x86_64 for the first time.