On Monday, 8 August 2016 at 12:29:51 UTC, Seb wrote:

You should always carefully read the description and Notes ;-)

Note:
Each front will not persist after popFront is called, so the caller must copy its contents (e.g. by calling to!string) when retention is needed. If the caller needs to retain a copy of every line, use the byLineCopy function instead.

http://dlang.org/phobos/std_stdio.html#.File.byLine

Unfortunately you are not the first one who bumped into this problem and this non intuitive behavior of byLine is heavily disputed.

Duh... I've read the documentation but managed to jump over these explanations... reading carefully would have saved me some pain!
Hopefully I'll be more careful next time.