On Thursday, 8 September 2016 at 10:18:36 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
I am certainly hoping that Chapel will be the language to displace NumPy for serious computation in the Python-sphere. Given it's foundation in the PGAS model, it has all the parallelism needs, both cluster and local, built in. Given Chapel there is no need to look at C++, D, Rust, Cython, etc.

I can see where you are coming from, I have taken a look at Chapel and high performance computing is their top priority. I think they hope that it will be the next Fortran, but I think it is very much a domain specific language. They have clearly given plenty of thought to distributed computing, parallelization and concurrency that could yield some very nice performance advantages. However Python's advantage is that it is a dynamic language and can act as a front end to algorithms written in C/C++ for instance as Google has done with TensorFlow. In the future it could even act as a front end to Chapel since they now have a C API.

However, I feel as if computer programming languages are still in this static-dynamic partnership, e.g. Python with C/C++, R and Fortran/C/C++. It means language overhead always maintaining code in more than one language and always having to amend your interface every time you change something in one or the other. In essence, nothing fundamentally different is happening with current new languages. I hate to sound like a broken record, but what Sparrow proposes is a unification in such a way that all kinds of overheads go away. Making something like that work with the principles of Sparrow would be a revolution in computing.