On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 at 15:34:56 UTC, Dsciple wrote:
I don't understand what prevents such function (in turn calling some OS-level C function) from doing its job at compile time too. Guess it's a very challanging thing to do at compile-time, or should I open an issue with the std.socket lib developers?

std.socket simply passes the request on to the operating system. Enabling parsing IP addresses at compile time would necessitate duplicating the logic already present in the operating system libraries, which would not be future-proof at best, and buggy at worst.

It's not possible to implement by invoking C functions like at runtime, since that is forbidden during compile-time for a number of reasons, mainly safety.