On 04/12/2016 7:26 AM, dan wrote:
On Saturday, 3 December 2016 at 09:03:25 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
On 03/12/2016 9:55 PM, dan wrote:
[...]

If you can use another compiler do so, gdc is on an old
frontend/Phobos now. I recommend ldc or you know the reference
compiler dmd if performance/platform isn't an issue (not that dmd
can't produce decent codegen).

This does compile:

int func() {
    return 0;
}

void main() {
    int x;
    while((x = func()) != 0) {

Thanks Rikki, that works great and is nearly ideal (doesn't seem to
allow 'auto' but probably that's some scoping issue).

I do prefer gdc because it is gpl'ed, but appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks again for your help!

dan

The only thing in gdc that is GPL is the backend and glue layer.
The frontend is the same one in ldc and dmd.