On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 at 08:27:29 UTC, abad wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 at 08:10:41 UTC, Nemanja Boric wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 at 05:09:34 UTC, LeqxLeqx wrote:
Perhaps this is a stupid question, and I apologize if it is, but why doesn't this compile:

  import std.algorithm;
  import std.stdio;
  void main()
  {
          char[] array = [1, 2, 3, 4];
          char value = 2;
          fill(array, value);
  }

if this does:

  import std.algorithm;
  import std.stdio;
  void main()
  {
          int[] array = [1, 2, 3, 4];
          int value = 2;
          fill(array, value);
  }

when the only difference is the type, and the 'fill' method is meant to be generic?

Thanks for your time.

So I don't repeat excellent answer: http://stackoverflow.com/a/6401889/133707

So in short, unlike in C/C++ world, you should only use char to store actual text, not data as would be common in C/C++. byte & ubyte are for that.

I see. That's good to know. Thank you both so much!