On Monday, 2 January 2017 at 03:08:10 UTC, Joakim wrote:
On Sunday, 1 January 2017 at 09:34:24 UTC, Ignacious wrote:

Can you try

sudo apt-get install libconfig9

I don't know if that will install something different, but it's the command I see others using online. Otherwise, check if the libconfig++9 package you installed included libconfig.so.9, which is what ldc is linked against. If not, install the package that provides that library. The wiki mentions installing libconfig-dev, you could always just install that if nothing else works.

That is what I used to get it on there in the first place... but the ldc compiler still could not find it.

The problem seems to be where ldc2 is looking for libconfig.so.9 rather than it being installed or not.

How do I either know where it is looking for where to put it?

You said you installed libconfig++9, which an apt search shows me is a different package than libconfig9, that includes a library named differently. As I said, are you sure that particular libconfig.so.9 library is installed?

If it is, manually adding its path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the way to make sure it's found.

Ok, I didn't realize they were different packages.

I now get the error

./bin/ldmd2: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and trying to install libncursesw is missing. I tried installing libncurses5 and it worked, but, of course, not version 6 or whatever. tried various things... nothing works.

./bin/ldc2: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I downloaded the sources. I had to install gcc, make, then I did ./configure --enable-widec (http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1161942), then ran make.. I end up getting the errors

make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/b/c/test'
cd misc && make DESTDIR="" all
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/b/c/misc'
WHICH_XTERM=xterm-new \
        ticdir=/usr/share/terminfo \
        /bin/sh ./gen_edit.sh >run_tic.sed
echo '** adjusting tabset paths'
** adjusting tabset paths
sed -f run_tic.sed ../misc/terminfo.src >terminfo.tmp
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/b/c/misc'
cd c++ && make DESTDIR="" all
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/b/c/c++'
cp ./etip.h.in etip.h
sh ./edit_cfg.sh ../include/ncurses_cfg.h etip.h
substituting autoconf'd values from ../include/ncurses_cfg.h into etip.h
... CPP_HAS_PARAM_INIT 0
... CPP_HAS_STATIC_CAST 0
... ETIP_NEEDS_MATH_EXCEPTION 0
... ETIP_NEEDS_MATH_H 0
... HAVE_BUILTIN_H 0
... HAVE_GPP_BUILTIN_H 0
... HAVE_GXX_BUILTIN_H 0
... HAVE_IOSTREAM 0
... HAVE_TYPEINFO 0
... HAVE_VALUES_H 0
... IOSTREAM_NAMESPACE 0
cd ../objects; -I../c++ -I../include -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -I. -I../include -c ../c++/cursesf.cc
/bin/sh: 1: -I../c++: not found
make[1]: *** [../objects/cursesf.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/b/c/c++'
make: *** [all] Error 2

So, now I do not know what to do next.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libncurses6

(This is why I hate working linux, so much obfuscation... so many potential points of failure)

Also, once I go through all this trouble, I have to do it again for the arm verson(using x86-64 ldc)? Can I install on the same system or will the libraries conflict and I'll have to go through all this mess again?