On Wednesday, 25 January 2017 at 20:42:52 UTC, bitwise wrote:
Is it not possible to return a ref from an inout function?

It isn't the inout that's getting you, it is the const object in main().

    const(List!int) c;

Make that mutable and it works. Why? Cuz the `C list` in the iterator keeps that const with it.... I'm not sure why that kills it though, the error tells me it is an internal cast that is breaking things but I don't see why that logically would.

This might arguably be a bug, but you could work around it by checking for that const This and offering a different method that just returns const instead of ref.

    T[] data = new T[1];

BTW what do you think this line does? I ask because most people who use it don't get what they expect out of it....