On Saturday, 28 January 2017 at 18:04:58 UTC, Nestor wrote:
I believe I saw somewhere that in D a char was not neccesarrily the same as an ubyte because chars sometimes take more than

Not true in the language, but the Phobos library does treat char and ubyte differently because of the multi-char things.

But the built-in .length on a string and indexing all work the same as bytes.

Note that .length on a wstring or dstring (utf-16 or utf-32) are not bytes, but words. So wstring.length = number of wchars = number of 16 bit items. And dstring is 32 bit. Exactly the same as ushort[].length or int[].length - it is length of elements so if you actually want byte length, you'd cast it first or something.