On Monday, 6 February 2017 at 18:55:19 UTC, pineapple wrote:
One reason for zero-based indexes that isn't "it's what we're all used to" is that if you used one-based indexes, you would be able to represent one fewer index than zero-based, since one of the representable values - zero - could no longer be used to represent any index.

Also, it's what we're all used to, and it makes perfect sense to a lot of us, and the only times in recent memory I've ever made off-by-one errors were when I was trying to use Lua and its one-based indexing.

In the scientific programming community, languages like Matlab, Fortran, and R use one-based indexing for a very good reason. Zero-based indexing is a computer science thing that makes no sense to someone working with equations.