On Wednesday, 2 August 2017 at 18:06:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 01:15:44PM -0400, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote: [...]
The real answer is to have tail modifiers for structs, so you can do the same thing an array does. Note that if Result is an array, you CAN use inout:

auto byPair(AA)(inout(AA) aa)
{
   alias Result = inout(X)[];
   return Result(...);
}
[...]

Yeah, this isn't the first time I've run into this. But then the problem becomes, how do you design tail modifiers for structs?

I understand the general concept you're describing, but what exactly are tail modifiers? It's the first time I see this name, and my google-fu gives me nothing.